Saturday, May 19, 2007

Reaching people where they are...


Yesterday, I brought up a thought I wanted to explore a little more. The thought of reaching people where they are, even though it might not bring them to the church.

My thought is: What’s wrong with that? We have an opportunity to reach people with a message that they may never hear, because they may never set foot in a church. God loves these people, and sent his Son to die for these people, yet churches have a really hard time reaching people who don’t come into the church.

Isn’t it true that most churches have outreach activities designed to bring people into the church, where they can hear the message? But isn’t it also true that most people have no idea of their need of church until they hear the message? If both statements are true, what most churches are doing will never reach people.

I feel that ministry in the community is as important as ministry in the congregation. And I am very fortunate to serve a congregation that shares that thinking. We have to reach people where they are, and not insist that they come to where we are. We have to get the message to them. Because only when they hear the message and are convicted by that message will they realize their need of the Savior, and fellowship and support and growth opportunities that the church offers to grow closer to the Savior.

This website is an effort to share the message. Our article in the Alfred Sun is an effort to share that message. Our churches website (http://www.almondunionchurch.org/) is another effort to share that message. Our numerous community events, my work as a volunteer in community groups, my volunteering with Faith in Action of Hornell, all of these are ways to get the message outside the church doors to where the people are. People that really need to hear this message. I hope that if you are a part of the Body of Christ, you can identify groups that you belong to, where your life of faith can be seen and your message of hope shared through service to others.

When they hear the message, and the Holy Spirit convicts them, and they believe that message, then they will visit a church. I hope it will be our church. As long as it’s a Christian church that honestly preaches the Word of God, and lives their faith, then I really don’t care which church.

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...