Friday, September 26, 2008

Handling tomorrow...


Do no boast about tomorrow,
For you do not know what a day may bring forth.

- Proverbs 27:1


Here at the church, we’ve been going through a very stressful situation. I hope that it is almost resolved, but it’s been going on for so long, that I’ll believe it when I see it.

I don’t get upset about too many things. But I have to admit, this is one that has really become a “thorn in my flesh.” Two months of prayer has, I hope and pray, got us closer to a resolution, but the situation continues.

This verse has popped up in a recent devotion, as well as popping up in my thoughts over the last couple of weeks. While I am not boasting about tomorrow, I am worried about tomorrow, and I think the verse concerns that just as much.

Truth is, our worrying, or our boasting, doesn’t effect the final outcome of anything. Only trusting in God for all our needs each day makes any difference in the end. We can work so hard to plan our days, to better our future, to provide for our families, but in the end, we can’t control the outcome. And if working that hard doesn’t make a difference, you can bet worrying that much doesn’t either.

We can only do our best, and trust God to do the rest.

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...