Thursday, June 19, 2008

The ups and downs of a life of faith...


I was reading in Psalm 73, and I came across a passage that speaks of utter and complete devotion to God. Here is what I read:


Yet I am always with you,
you hold me by my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will take me into glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire beside you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:23-26)
I believe that this is what God had hoped for in creation. A people that would be completely devoted to Him, who love Him beyond measure, who look to Him for guidance and counsel. Sometimes, I am like that people. Sometimes, I am just as devoted as the Psalmist.

Yet sometimes, God feels far away. Sometimes, even though I work through my devotions, I read Scripture, I do a Bible Study, and I spend time in prayer, I don’t sense the closeness of God. I don’t feel like he’s there.

Perhaps I found as much comfort in the beginning words of the very next Psalm as I did in what I just quoted:


Why have you rejected us forever, O God?
Why does your anger smolder
against the sheep of your pasture?

It’s a comfort for me to know that even the Psalmists sometimes felt that God was far away. Even thought they did what they felt was right, they didn’t feel like He was there.

Truth is, God hasn’t rejected any of us forever. But at times, it might feel that He has. In those times, continue working on in your faith. Continue the Bible Studies, continue the Scripture reading, continue your devotions and prayers, and know that even the Psalmists sometimes felt that God was far off. But when God is close, and you feel His presence, there is no better peace in all of mankind!

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...