Saturday, April 5, 2008

Does our faith make a difference?

I was thinking about this the other day. Does our faith really make a difference in our lives?

I think that it should. And in most cases I suppose that it does. As I was reflecting on this, I began remembering statistics that I heard in the past. I don’t have the references for these, but they should be available on the Internet. For example…

Statistics show that people in the hospital recover quicker when other people pray for them. The amazing thing to me is that they don’t have to know that others pray for them, they still recover quicker when people pray for them. This is part of the reason why you almost can’t find a hospital with out a Chaplain. You may not think you need God, but statistically you will recover quicker if you believe.

Statistics show that people who go to church have far fewer divorces than people who don’t. They first did this study comparing evangelical Christians against the rest of the population, but they asked if respondents were evangelical Christians, and took their word for it. That suggested that the rate of divorce was even slightly higher for evangelicals than the rest of the population. But if you apply one more filter, you see a huge difference. Those who actually attend church regularly have a dramatically lower chance of divorce. So you might not think you need God, but statistically, you are much less likely to get a divorce if you believe – and attend, a Christian church.

Our community has suffered a fair number of untimely deaths recently. I can't imagine not having faith. Thinking that death is the end, that there is nothing else, would be tragic in my mind. My faith tells me that death is not the end. There is hope, there is promise. There is eternity.

I have seen other statistics that look at longevity, at various measurements of happiness, and a host of other things. If you look at those people who believe and attend church, you will live longer, be happier, be healthier, and your marriage will be stronger.

Our faith really does make a difference!

No comments:

What is the Church?

The Apostle Paul would whole-heartedly answer that question as the Body of Christ.   And I think that all of us would agree with him But ...