Sunday, August 12, 2007

Allowing God to work in you...

Nearly ten years ago I was discerning a call to ministry, and talking with my pastor at the time, wondering where God was calling me. His call was very clear, and I felt pastoral ministry all the while was where He was calling, but I wasn’t real sure.

When I started seminary, I asked my pastor if maybe I should be going into youth ministry. He balked at the idea, and said he didn’t think that was the right course of action. I really didn’t, either, but knew that many people started in youth ministry, and wondered if I should, too. Looking back, it wouldn’t have been a good fit at the time.

However, here I am many years later, excited about going off to camp. I will be the volunteer Advanced Sailing Camp Director for this week at Camp Whitman, a Presbyterian camp on Seneca Lake, and I’m really looking forward to it.

What I think is a little ironic, is that for the next week, I will be in youth ministry. It has come full circle, and where I thought I should be going many years ago, I will be at, even if just for a week. And though I was uneasy about the idea then, I am excited about it now. And I know that it’s the one-week commitment that makes things much easier, and I don’t want to sign on full time, but I know also that I have grown over the years.

God has brought me to this point, and I am willingly following, and excited about the prospect. There is an excitement about truly following God wherever He might be leading, knowing that He is leading, and that He will be using you to reach others.

Many people don’t know this excitement. Many people who claim to follow Him don’t know the excitement of truly allowing Him to work through them. If you don’t know that excitement, take the chance, go out on a limb, and follow next time you hear His call. Listen to what He is asking you to do, and then do it, and see if you aren’t blessed. Ask God to use you, to work through you, and be obedient when you feel His word. It will be small things at first, but as He knows He can trust you to do what He asks, He will use you for big things, too. But every time, He will bless others through you. Look for the opportunity, and listen for small voice within.

The neat thing about working with God to bless others, is that now matter how much you bless others, you walk away blessed even more.

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...