Monday, June 8, 2009

Praising God with Music

It sure was great to have Touch of Brass visit with us on Sunday!

Their music is lively and fun to listen to, and it picks us up. Music does that, doesn’t it? I think that different types of music, different musical styles, can do that. When we listen to a different style of music than what we usually listen to, it causes us to listen a little deeper, a little more appreciative, maybe even with a little more awe of the gifts and talents of the performers who are playing.

When we listen to the music we always listen to, we’re used to it, and that newness is worn off. We don’t see it with that awe, and while we still enjoy it, we may even begin to take it for granted.

I think that our praise can be the same way. I’m not talking about praise music, though the same might hold true if we’re not careful. I’m talking about praising God. When we praise God the same way all the time, we get used to it; we might even begin to take it for granted. It becomes a routine, something we do. We even begin to find value in the doing, rather than the praising itself. We lose the awe of God.

To read the rest of this message, click here.

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...