Thursday, May 15, 2008

Learning to live...

“Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God,
as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus
to do this more and more.”
- 1 Thess 4:1

I came upon this passage the other day in my reading. What struck me was the notion that Paul and his fellow workers had to instruct the Thessalonians how to live in order to please God. The idea that, on our own, we don’t know how to live in order to please God – we must be taught.

How do you learn this? How do you learn to live a life that pleases God? How are you learning this now? Perhaps there are a few guidelines I could pass along that could help you learn to live a life that pleases God.

First, be a part of the Body of Christ. The church, at least the people in the church, are the Body of Christ. By associating with them, worshiping with them, serving with them, spending time with them, you become a part of the Body of Christ, too. As you do this, you will learn from them how to live a life that pleases God. I know a number of people that say they believe in God but are not a part of the Body of Christ. I don’t think you can please God if you are not a part of His Body.

Second, study God’s Word. You can read it and study it at home, but I encourage you to participate in a group Bible Study. We offer one at Almond Union on Tuesday Mornings. By discussing the Bible in a group, things are brought out that you haven’t thought of before, and all of these help you to understand what the Bible really means for you – what God is telling you through the Bible.

It’s easy for us to fall back to a life that doesn’t please God. We must always be learning what pleases Him, and doing it more and more. More on this thought tomorrow...

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...