Thursday, May 8, 2008

The awesomeness of God


In my devotion this morning, I read about Julian of Norwich. Julian lived in the mid 1300’s, and when she was in her thirties, became seriously ill, to the point that those around her thought she would die. When she began to recover, she had a series of visions, which she later wrote in a book called Revelations of Divine Love. One of these revelations really struck me, and I quoting here from my devotion, written by James Kiefer:

She describes seeing God holding a tiny thing in his hand, like a small brown
nut, which seemed so fragile and insignificant that she wondered why it did not
crumble before her eyes. She understood that the thing was the entire created
universe, which is as nothing compared to its Creator, and she was told, "God
made it, God loves it, God keeps it."

I think we worry and take ourselves too seriously because we fail to realize how big our God really is. This vision from Julian may help us to see how awesome and how amazing He really is. The entire universe is like a very small and very fragile thing in His great hands.

He created us, He loves us, and He keeps us (provides for us, takes care of us, is truly a father to us). We are so tiny in His hands, yet He cares for us.

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...