Friday, December 7, 2007

Archaelogy strikes again!


I’m not exactly a fan of archeology. I don’t really follow it very much, but I do have an interest to an extent. For a year I subscribed to Biblical Archeology Review, a magazine highlighting archeological finds with Biblical significance. I found some of the articles interesting, but I get so many magazines, some had to go…

In the paper this past week I found a story with the headlines: Elusive biblical Jerusalem wall finally found, Israeli archaeologist says. The story indicates that a team of archaeologists has discovered part of the wall around ancient Jerusalem that Nehemiah had rebuilt after the Babylonians had invaded the city.

They also uncovered what they believe to be some of the remains from King David’s palace, built by King Hiram of Tyre, also confirming Biblical stories.

The most interesting thing to me is that, while they are always finding new things, they always seem to confirm the text of the Bible. I remember when I was reading Biblical Archaeology Review, a quote from an Israeli archaeologist that, while there is a vast amount of things they haven’t found, they have yet to find anything that contradicts the Bible. While others may interpret the findings very different, they have yet to find anything that does not fit into the story of the Bible.

We won’t hear it, but science does not actually contradict Scripture. Some interpretations of the scientific data contradict Scripture, but there are other interpretations that fit nicely.


Next time you hear the science vs.faith argument, remember that there is really no argument in the data. The argument is in the interpretation. And doesn’t that come down to faith…

No comments:

What is the Church?

The Apostle Paul would whole-heartedly answer that question as the Body of Christ.   And I think that all of us would agree with him But ...