Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Do I Really Need the Church... Part I.



As a pastor, I meet a lot of people who don't belong to any church.  And when I can strike up a conversation with them about church and faith, as you can imagine, I get quite a variety in answers.  Many who don’t go to any church, but still believe that God exists, tell me you don’t have to go to church to be a Christian.  Often they add that they can experience God in the woods while hunting, or on the golf course.  Personally, I’ve never been that good a golfer that I could experience God on a golf course. In fact, I'm so bad I often leave the golf course thinking it's one of the few places on earth totally devoid of God's presence.  There is no other way to explain how I golf.

Yet, as often as I’ve heard the comments that you don’t have to go to church to be a Christian, I've honestly never met a “good” Christian, who was actively growing in the Lord and taking the Bible at its word, who wasn't an active church member.  I’ve yet to met anyone who doesn’t go to church that prays everyday, who does daily devotions, and reads the Bible with an eye toward applying what they learn to their everyday life, so actively seeks to serve others in the name of Jesus. 

For years, I agreed that faith in Jesus is the source of our salvation, and that can, and usually does, happen outside the church context, so a part of me agrees with them.  But deep down inside I know that for a person to mature in their faith, they are going to need more.  They are going to need what they can only get in an active, Bible believing church.

So for the next couple of days, I wanted to share some reasons that I’ve found for joining a local church.    In a booklet called Why Be A Christian, Why the Church, Walter Woodbury brings out several reasons to join in membership with a local church congregation.  I’ll share a few today, and the rest tomorrow…

1.   Because of what the church is (The living body of Christ), and what it has for me (opportunities for nurture, fellowship, growth and worship).
2.   Because you need the help of God’s church, and the church needs you.  (As for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold. – Psalm 73:2)
3.   It is selfish and wrong of me to expect the benefits of the church if I refuse to join it and help to sustain it.
4.   I would not want to live nor bring up children in a community without a church and I cannot reasonably ask others to provide a church for my family, unless I am willing to do my share.


Walter has four more reasons, which I'll share tomorrow, then I'll share some reasons from Rick Warren, then through in a few of my own.

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...