Saturday, January 16, 2010

Do you hear His voice?


"Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts."
Hebrews 4:7b

I came across this reading today, and tended to stick with them for a few minutes.  My mom just got out of the hospital yesterday.  She has cancer.  I’ve been struggling with the questions so many have already asked, many of them starting with the word, “Why?

This verse pulled me back a minute.  Yet as I looked at it, there is nothing there that probably should have pulled at me.  Yet… 

As I reflected on it, it occurred to me that, perhaps, some of those “why” questions were causing my heart to be a little hardened.  Perhaps because the focus on a “why” question is what you want, not what God wants.  We may ask God why he doesn’t want something, but it’s only because we really want, and therefore, we want to want it, too.  But that’s backwards.  We should want what God wants.  Not want God to want what we want.  I don’t know if you followed that, it sounds a little confusing, but God is God, and if we’re on the same page as God, we want what God wants.  Having that backwards is an indication that we’re not on the same page as God.

So, I don’t know why my mom has cancer.  I don’t know why it wasn’t contained so the surgery would have been successful.  I don’t know why she will have to go through the sometimes difficult treatments that are sure to follow.

But I do know God.  And I know His voice.  And I am listening to His voice.  And in the end, He will lead us through…

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...