Friday, February 13, 2009

The Final Divide


In reading from the newsletter of the First Baptist Church in Hornell, I really liked Pastor Mike Child's article, the Pastor's Viewpoint. Pastor Mike has graciously allowed me to pass it on...


The Final Divide

"When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate the sheep from the goats..." Matthew 25:31-32

There are some verses of Scripture that are more preferable and more politically correct than others. This section of Matthew is not one of those "warm fuzzy" passages that are read often. In my years of ministry, I have used this once at a funeral. The lady requested it before her death!

It is just not very acceptable to talk about separating people out, and their judgment day. The idea of being called a goat or a sheep is bit offensive, too.

As we look around us, we see many people following their own path in life, and having little regard for anyone else. That is a popular concept - that we can "make our own way" and that "your way is as good as my way."

According to our Lord, Jesus, that is not quite right. He was adamant about saying that He is the only one true way. In fact, those early Christian followers called their path "The Way" to follow Christ.

Sometimes we get lost on our way. Sometimes people will be fad followers, and skip from one thing to another.

I believe that following Christ, when I have accepted Him as Lord and Savior - is a permanent decision. His blood will cover me - and His forgiveness is complete. He promises to remove my sins (our sins) as far as East is from West - they will exist no more! What a comfort that is!

On the other hand, we will be held to account for our life - and the decisions we've made - good and bad. Here is where the sheep and goats analogy comes in. I believe I will indeed stand before Jesus on that day of judgment, as will you. The day we face Him on the throne and view our life, what will we see?

Jesus will be watching too, and He will be curious to see whom we helped, how we managed, and what we have done for the least and the lost. Then, He will move us to right or left in a great, eternal divide. At that time, and on that day - let me be on the right side.

Thank you to Pastor Mike Childs for permission to copy this to you. I think he put it well, and gives us all some food for our reflection on the life of a Christ follower...

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...