Friday, March 2, 2007

God is closer than you think...


We have dish-to-pass dinners at the church every Thursday during the season of Lent. After dinner, we have a program. Two years ago we did a Bible Study that really helped us understand the kingship of Jesus. We looked at the line of David, what it meant to be a King, and how you would become a King. That way we could better understand the reason for the lineage of Jesus given in the New Testament.

Last year we did some studies in current events. Using the WiredWord as our starting point, we looked at current news stories, then looked to Scripture to see how a biblical worldview helps us understand the world we live in. It was a great study!

This year I had planned to do another Bible Study, but just a couple of weeks ago I had an opportunity to preview a small group program, God Is Closer Than You Think, by John Ortberg. I’ll readily confess I haven’t read the book yet, but I think I can highly recommend it after what I have seen in the first session of this program.

What impressed me the most was the concept that Michaelangelo expressed in painting the ceiling of the Sisteen Chapel. I copied the picture above so you can see it. The image is of God on the right side reaching out to Adam. He is leaning forward, arm stretched out straight, finger extended, trying to reach Adam. On the left side we see Adam looking a little hesitant. He’s leaning back, arm bent at the elbow, finger pointing downward. From the image, God is desiring to be with Adam much more than Adam is desiring to be with God.

Today the image would be the same: God reaching out to his creation, while mankind is pulling back, unwilling to fully commit to a loving God. I wonder why that is? I wonder why it is with me – why do I do the same thing? I’ve certainly seen enough in my life to know that God is near. Yet miracle after miracle that I witness first hand, I still have to remind myself to trust him next time. If I was in that painting, I wonder if I would be leaning back too.

We really can trust God. He really is that close. So just stretch out your finger just a little and touch the God of the universe. Just lean forward a little and embrace your loving creator. Make a move to be with him, and he will be with you. He’s waiting now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve, let me know how the God is Closer Than You Think study progresses. I had not heard of this and it sounds very good. -- Chuck

Pastor Steve said...

Only did one of six sessions so far – but looks like a great study.

It’s also interesting how God sends confirmations – Four times in three days I’ve heard comments about God’s presence, all from people who didn’t know about the study we’re doing!

Thanks for reading – and for the comments!

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...