Monday, September 10, 2007

Salvation come through surrender...


On Saturday I had an opportunity to join a gathering of the Christian Motorcyclist Association in Letchworth State Park. It was a rainy day, but it really didn’t dampen the gathering at all. We had a ride in the morning through some very heavy rain, but it did clear up around lunch time, and we enjoyed some great music by Women of Worship, and a great message by Don Sunshine, the Youth Action Director at Family Life Network

Don’s message spoke of something that I had been thinking about for a year now. Last year, at an outdoor Church in the Park service, two people came forward and prayed to give their lives to Christ. They prayed “the prayer,” but haven’t been in church more than once or twice since that time. They have obviously not become disciples, and I really feel we have let them down. Not because we haven’t give them opportunities –we have. But because we have implied that if they came forward, they would be saved. If they just said that prayer, they would be okay.

A couple of weeks ago, I met with one of them again, and she told me without question that she knows that she is saved. But where is the fruit? Jesus said in Matthew 7:7, you will recognize them by their fruit. Shouldn’t there be fruit? I’m not the judge, God is, so I’m not going to say that salvation never took place. But there is no fruit…

I got to thinking that Jesus never said repeat this prayer after me and you will have eternal life – he said follow me and you will have eternal life. He said repent. Don even made the comment that it doesn’t matter what prayer you pray, you have to repent.

It seems to me, that as the church, we are doing a great disservice to people if we are telling them that they are saved by virtue of a little prayer, or even by faith, if that faith hasn’t led to repentance.

This has been on my mind since last July, and Don has given me more to think on. I am still thinking and reflecting, and will give a message on it sometime soon, but the more I think about this, the more I am being convicted.

Something Don said Saturday has stuck with me – We surrender this life to God, in exchange for eternity in the next with God. Is your life surrendered? Do you give him all the glory? Do you seek His advice in every decision you make? Have you given Him all the control? If not, please, do so now…

Salvation comes through surrender.

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...