Wednesday, May 2, 2007

What do you think of the war?

Today’s post is an invitation to comment on what you think of the war. At the end of this column, you will see the time that this was posted, and then you will see how many comments there are. If you click on the word comments, you will be able to leave your own comment. And I would love to hear from you on this one.

I saw a video yesterday; I think it was a call in to the David Letterman show. I forget the web address where you can see it yourself, but I will look that up and post the address later so you can see it. The caller was a soldier home on a two-week leave. This soldier couldn’t believe what he was seeing in the news. The democratic leadership insisting that the war was lost. He believed in what he was doing in Iraq. He believed that if they had the time and the materials they needed (read money into that statement), that they could accomplish the setting up of an Iraqi government that would represent all the people of Iraq – not just those fundamental ists who were fighting for control. With all my heart I want to believe him.

So I ask you, what do you think? Yesterday marked the four-year anniversary of the end of the war! Yet we will still talk of a war – often in the context of a war already lost. But was the actual war over four years ago? At that time the mission changed to setting up a government that could support itself and defend itself. Has that changed?

And most important, what I would like your comments on is this question: As believers, is there a clear Biblical message that might give us God’s will in this issue. What does the Bible say about it? Have we as the Body of Christ given that question any thought?

Hit the comment button – I want to hear what you think…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Steve,
I know that the war is an unpopular thing right now, but I believe we are doing the right thing. Its sad to see so many people getting killed including our GI's. But if we should pull out now its my belief that we would soon be fighting the battle on our soil. It really is a war between muslims and Christians, good and evil. I am not saying all Muslims are bad and not all christians are good but both sides believe they are right. But I die before I would change sides.

Duane

Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor Steve,
There appears to be something seriously wrong with the situation. I don't know what it is, and obviously no one else seems to be able to figure it out either. I have come to the conclusion that the Lord has a hand in it some way for some purpose of His own. We may never understand it. The only thing we can do is be grateful that the people in our government and our military are trying to do their best for the good of all concerned, and trying to end the situation instead of becoming an occupying force.

Spinner

Pastor Steve said...

Spinner,
I agree with you. I think that we are there because the Lord has willed it for some reason. I'm not comfortable with it, but I feel that leaving now would create more problems than it would fix. And perhaps we should be looking more for the Lord's hand in this...

Anonymous said...

Pastor Steve -
The United States took a position a long time before any of us were around as the world's policeman. Agree or disagree that is what some see as our role as a nation. Initially I feel that we entered Iraq with good intentions. Unfortunately now we are more aware of the sectarian violence and fighting that has lead to almost a civil war there between the Sunnis and the Shiites. We as a nation are never going to be able to settle those differences between the Muslim people. I feel that there will not be peace in the Middle East. There are too many lands and peoples with too many ideological differences. Remember, the end times are nearing and I think the increased violence in Iraq and other area are a part of that. That does not mean that I think we should stay out ... but I doubt there will ever be "peace on earth" - Michelle

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...