Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day


I am sometimes a little cautious in celebrating national holidays. Not because I am not glad to be an American, not because I don’t love this country, but because sometimes I think we might be a little quick in pledging allegiance to our nation, but not so quick in pledging allegiance to our God. I believe that God should have the first place in our lives. From there, we can freely support and celebrate being American, and all that that means.

This Memorial Day, by all means give thanks for the sacrifices made by those who gave their lives to secure and preserve our freedom. They have made this nation great. And we need to remember their sacrifice, and give thanks for the freedom they made possible.

We should also remember that this great land was established as one nation under God. We might argue over what that means today, but they weren’t arguing then. They were thanking God for making this people a free people.

Today, I truly thank all who have served in our armed forces, and I especially thank those who gave their lives doing so. I also remember the God who gave them victory. May he preserve this great nation that He founded – and may he give us peace.

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...