Thursday, September 13, 2007

God's Light...

I am reading St. Augustine’s Confessions, and came across an interesting passage. He is writing about God’s Light, and he writes:

Nor was it above my soul, as oil is above water, nor yet as heaven is above
earth: but above to my soul, because it made it me; and below it, because I was
made by it.
I know that the copy I am reading is a little difficult to understand, being the Old English style, but I think he has an interesting thought here. It seems to me that God is not separate from us, but yet, is separate from us. God is not separate from us like oil and water is separate, or the earth and the heavens are separate – they can never be combined – will always be separate. God is not like that. I think of the Holy Spirit coming on us, and residing in us. It cannot be distinguished from us, there is no inherit separation.

Yet in way there is separation, because God is the creator, and we belong to Him. Because He made us, we are His.

Have you ever thought about the closeness we have with God, yet how very far away we are...

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...