Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Bearing Fruit

"Remain in me, and I will remain in you.  No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine.  Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me." - John 15:4
This passage is an often used passage that reminds us of the need to stay connected to Christ.  If we are going to live fruitful lives, we must be "in Christ." 

From this verse, we understand that if we stay in Christ, Christ will stay in us.  This means that it's up to us.  Christ has promised to be there if we turn to Him.  If we make the effort to remain in Christ, He will remain in us, He will be with us.  I'm not saying that we are saved if we make the effort....  Salvation is by faith alone.  But to have a continuing relationship with Christ, we must remain in Him.

What does it mean to remain in Christ.  He gives us an answer in verse 10, "If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love..."  So first and foremost, we do those things Jesus said we should do.  Obedience is the key to remaining in Christ.  Which means we should be in the Word so we know what Jesus said we should do. We must know the Bible if we hope to know what Jesus expects of us.

But obedience to commands can quickly deteriorate into a legalistic set of rules.  Do this, but don't do this...  These legalistic rules can take the love and grace out of our relationships.  But that's not Christ.  That's why in verse 12 He gives us a new command, "My command is this:  Love each other as I have loved you."  

So read the Bible, and put into practice what you read.  But be careful not to let commands interfere with your love for Christ.  And be careful to love one another, and treat everyone you meet with the love Jesus has for you. 

Be filled with love, and you will bear much fruit!

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...