Thursday, October 25, 2012

Do I Really Need Church - Part II

Yesterday, I started the conversation about whether we really need the church.

I gave four reasons why we need the church from a booklet titled Why Be A Christian, Why The Church, by Walter Woodbury.  Here are the final four...



5.   By staying outside the church, I am throwing my influence against Christ and His Church.
6.   If all people refused to unite with the church and support its ministries, there would be no church.
7.   The church offers the opportunity to invest in a great and worthy cause, namely, the extension of God’s Kingdom in the world. 
8.    If I do not stand up for Christ and His church here, how can I expect Him to claim me among His own when He comes in triumph?  (If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father. - Matthew 10:33, Mark 8:38, Luke 9:26 with only minor variations)



I don't know that any of these by themselves are conclusive, except perhaps the last one, but together they make a convincing argument that perhaps we do need the church.  

Tomorrow, I share some reasons Rick Warren gives for being a part of a local church...

No comments:

What is the Church?

The Apostle Paul would whole-heartedly answer that question as the Body of Christ.   And I think that all of us would agree with him But ...