Wednesday, March 24, 2010

O Lord, have pity on me...


As for me, I will live with integrity; redeem me, O LORD, and have pity on me.
Psalm 26:11


As Easter is approaching quickly, I hope that you have the opportunity to do some daily devotions. We’ve again been blessed at Almond Union of Churches to offer a booklet of Lenten Devotions by Richard Rusbuldt. These are great devotions, I hope you have something similar that you’re reading through this season.

For me, Lent is a time of year when I am reminded of my never ending need for a Savior. I sometimes think that when I get to stand before God, I’ll probably be cowering behind Jesus. Fearful of the power and might of loving, yet just, God. In awe over His majesty, yet fully aware that I don’t deserve to be there.

Lent is time to reflect on that. Because in recognizing our unworthiness, we recognize Jesus’ worthiness. Only by recognizing our sin, can we recognize Jesus’ purity and lack of sin. And only by recognizing how our need for a Savior is, can we really appreciate our Savior.

We tend to think the best. Things will work out. We’re basically good people. We try our best. But especially during Lent, reflect on the fact that as good as we think we are, we still fall short. Things work out, we’re basically good people, able to try our best, because of the saving work of Christ on the Cross.

Without Jesus, none of us would be able to stand (or even cower) before God.

No comments:

What is the Church?

The Apostle Paul would whole-heartedly answer that question as the Body of Christ.   And I think that all of us would agree with him But ...