Friday, September 4, 2009

Changing a favorite Bible Translation...

On Wednesday, the local Christian radio station had people call in to share their views on the report that the familiar NIV translation will be undergoing a slight change to make it more gender nutral.  The spokespeople at NIV claim it will correct some errors in the translation, and that the intent is not to make it more palatable.  They claim their emphasis is on preserving as true a translation as possible.

It always bothers me when radio stations and news sources ask for the opinions of people who don't know any more than the news source has told them.  The people of Christ shouldn't be judging or jumping to conclusions without knowing a lot more information than we've been given.

It surprised me that nearly all of the callers were against the change, nearly all stating that it's another example of the church catering to secular interests.  While I am as against watering down the gospel as anybody, and I certainly don't want to see another translation that caters to the secular interests, I readily admit that I don't have enough information to comment on this story.

If the good folks at NIV have found some errors in the translation, it seems to me that those errors should be corrected.  I personally want to have as accurate a translation as I can possibly have.  And if that means changing some of my favorite verses, then maybe I need to learn them over again, the correct way this time.  Let's make sure the translation is accurate, then face the consequences if it requires change to make it right.

I was thinking as I was listening that the only really truly inspired text was the one that the authors wrote.  God spoke through the authors.  For well over a thousand years, people had hand copied that inspired text.  Did errors occur?  Most likely. I believe that the Spirit of God was involved in the copying as well, and that the errors are minimul, but I suspect there are some there. 

As we pursue our life of faith, we should study for ourselves.  You're Pastor might be a good source for more information if you have questions.  Many people read the same translation all their lives, swearing that it's the best, without ever comparing.  I suggest that you find a couple of good translations (not paraphrases) to base your understanding on.  Compare them, note where they differ, and consider why another translation might use a different word in a favorite verse. 

Paraphrases are helpful in understanding text from a different viewpoint.  Don't use them to form your foundation, but it's interesting to see how they may differ.

And above all, don't judge.  Not about your favorite Bible translation, and not about new stories that you're invited to comment on, even though you don't know both sides of the story. 

Our Christian faith is about understanding and forgiveness, so be slow to judge and quick to forgive.  As always, your comments are welcome...

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...