Thursday, August 6, 2009

Carrying our own load...

Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load.
- Galatians 6:4,5

This passage comes out of a directive to help reach out to others who are caught in sin. We should gently reach out to them and help restore them to a right relationship with Christ.

But these two verses speak to us a little differently. They speak of the importance of maintaining our walk with Jesus. They speak of our own responsibility for this walk. It's not up to anyone else. If my walk with Jesus isn't what it should be, it's my fault. I can't blame anyone else.

More and more we are becoming victims of society. We hurt and we struggle and we blame others. If only he did this, then I could do that. If only so and so didn't do this to me, I wouldn't be where I am.

Truth is, people do things we wish they wouldn't do, and we are affected by those actions. But how we respond to what they do is far more important than what they do. Paul's direction in this verse is for us to test ourselves. Don't compare ourselves to others, and don't blame others for our struggles. We need to carry our own load.

That load, at times, can be a heavy load. We will need Jesus to come by and support us, to help us. Praise God He promises to do just that.

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...