Thursday, August 2, 2007

Pew Sitters, and other church ministries...


Are you active in church?

Several years ago I heard a story, and I don’t remember the punch line as well as I wish I did, but it goes something like this. A man meets another man on the street, and they begin discussing their common faith. The first asks the second where he attends church, the second replied. The first was from a very large and very active church in the middle of town. The second was from a much smaller church, also in town.


The first then asked what the second does at that church, what ministry was he involved in. The second said that he doesn’t do anything, really, just attends worship services every week.

The first looked at him a little suspect, then replied, “you a pew-sitter?” The second hadn’t heard it put that way, but after thinking about it for a minute, said, “yeah, I guess I’m a pew-sitter.”

The first said, “We don’t have any pew-sitters in our church!”

That has always brought a chuckle to me, but not because I can relate to the first church. Perhaps because I can relate to the second, but I suppose that’s not too much to chuckle about. It’s important for every member in a church to be an active member. It’s important for all to be a an active part of the Body of Christ, and to act that out in how they serve the church. Every member a minister. Every member serving in some way.

We aren’t there yet in Almond. Yet, as I write this, there is the sound of kids playing games outside the office window. This is VBS week, and we are currently, as I write this, doing our third evening VBS. The amazing part is, that I have the time to sit and jot down these thoughts.

Yesterday, I had told several people that we had more volunteers this year than we have ever had. That afternoon, three of those volunteers announced they couldn’t come back. But God provided, and all the holes were filled. Today, two others couldn’t make it, and again, God provided, and I have an opportunity to think about today’s post.

God provides, pew-sitters become active members, and our Church Body sees God revealed in how He works among us. I can’t think of a better praise than that!

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...