Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday...

I am writing this post on Good Friday. As I am writing, I am also reflecting on what Good Friday means for us as believers in the 21st century.

If our local area is any indication, most Protestants don't do very much with Good Friday. The Catholic Church is having a mass, but to my knowledge, no Protestant church in the area is doing anything special.

Several years ago the Catholic Church in Alfred had an ecumenical service, with area clergy participating. It was a very special event, and it was very well attended. I very much enjoyed participating. They still have a mass, but it's no longer ecumenical in nature.

Last year we had a service, but we aren't having one this year. I miss it. I miss the participation of the local clergy. I miss the solemness of the service.

We tend to want to rush right to Easter. We love the thought of the resurrection. We love the thought of life after death. We love the thought of a final victory. We love that Easter comes, and with it a certain newness of life, of transformation.

But don't rush through so fast that you forget the cost of which that newness of life and transformation came to us. God loved us so much He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. Jesus paid the price for us, but it wasn't pocket change - it cost Him everything. Even death on a cross.

So rejoice over your salvation. Feel the joy that comes from the newness of life that Easter can bring. But also, remember your Savior who made it all possible...

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...