Thursday, March 26, 2009

Being stretched...

I have had a week that is really stretching what I think it means to be in communion with the Body of Christ.

Personally I believe that the Bible is God's Holy and inspired Word, but at a Presbytery meeting Tuesday, I was reminded that not everybody does. The Presbytery voted on the issue of removing an amendment from the denomination constitution which would allow the Gay and Lesbian Community access to the leadership, both local church leadership (church elders and deacons) and clergy leadership (Ministers of Word and Sacrament.

I spoke out against the issue, which was a vote to approve an amendment deleting the requirement for sexual morality, as a requirement for ordination. Many spoke out against the issue, all relying in some way on Scriptural Authority - the Bible says this is not appropriate. Many others spoke out for the change for many different reasons. It became very clear that for those that don't believe the Bible is inspired, the arguments that were made based on Scriptural Authority didn't carry any weight. Perhaps the question becomes, how do we make a valid argument without Scripture, since some don't believe it's inspired.

In the end, a vote was taken to remove the requirement for sexual morality as a qualification for leadership in a church. I really struggle with that decision.

Then yesterday I attended a conference on the Emergent Church Movement. I wasn't all that aware of the Emergent Church Movement, but I had heard some not so flattering things spoken of it. I wanted to see for myself.

While at times my understanding was stretched even more, I have to admit that at the end of the day, I wondered if I might have more in common with the Emergent Church Movement than I do with Presbyterians today.

In both cases I was stretched, and I think a new normal will settle in as I reflect on both experiences. In the end, I think that's what God is calling us all to do.

Don't be afraid to be stretched. Seek the understanding of the Holy Spirit when you are, and let a new normal settle in. That's how we grow.

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...