Monday, July 16, 2007

25 years...


This week is a pretty special week for me. Tuesday (tomorrow) is our 25th Wedding Anniversary. I was a little surprised by that – I didn’t think I was that old, but I did the math, and came up with 25! (more than once!).

This event has naturally had me reflecting on marriage – my marriage and others who are just starting out. On Saturday, I presided at a wedding service, and I kept wondering what they were thinking.

On Friday we had the rehearsal. The organist was there, all the bridesmaids and groomsmen were there, we were all in our places, and the organist began playing the wedding march. I glanced over at the groom, wondering what was racing through his mind. Was he filled with joy? Or was that fear I saw? Was he filled with expectation for the future? I thought I even saw a tear in his eye, but maybe that was in my own eye.

What will it take for them to be truly happy for 25 years? Finally, maybe I can answer that. Then again, maybe not. I have been truly happy for the last 25 years. But I don’t think it was anything I did. I married the right girl. I gave her my all. And we sought God together. And that had more to do with my happy 25 years than anything I else I did.

So to the happy couple that were married here Saturday – I have a message for you (and for anyone else who either married, or hopes to be one day). There will be ups and downs in your marriage. But God will use those to grow you, and if you can trust in him for 25 years, you will one day be thinking back on a wonderful marriage, just as I am today. And God will bless you richly, as he has Sandy and me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy 25th Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...