Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Peace


I wonder how much there is truly is in the world today.

I know that we see the news each evening and see the wars, persecutions all over the globe, violent crimes in our own neighborhoods, and we might easily question whether there is any peace anywhere.

But I wonder if real peace isn’t found out there somewhere. Maybe it’s found inside, deep inside, those who seek it.

I think maybe peace is something like joy or happiness. It isn’t dependant on what others do for us, or to us. It isn’t dependant on circumstances that are outside our control. Those who need the circumstances to line up, need others to do things, or need things to make them complete, aren’t really happy. Even if they get everything they want, they will one day find something else they want, and once again, won’t be happy until they get it. Real happiness and joy comes from within. People who are genuinely happy don’t need things. They don’t need circumstances to line up just right. Their happiness comes from deep inside, and others can’t take it away.

I think peace is like that. We can be at peace with our neighbors, regardless of what our neighbors do. Sometimes it’s difficult, but I think that’s why it has to come from within. Too much can happen on the outside – peace from the outside doesn’t last. Peace from deep within does.

The question, I suppose, is where does that peace come from, and why don’t more people have it? Peace is listed in Galatians chapter 5 as a fruit of the Spirit. Jesus said, in John chapter 14, “Peace I give to you, my peace I leave with you.” In light of these passages, I would have to say that peace comes from God. It is one of those “fruits” that comes when we are filled with the Holy Spirit. It comes from faith in God, through Jesus the Son. It is a gift.

Cherish this peace. Don’t let outside circumstances rob you of your peace. Your peace is a gift from God and is as valuable as any other gift you’ve ever received.

No comments:

What is the Church?

The Apostle Paul would whole-heartedly answer that question as the Body of Christ.   And I think that all of us would agree with him But ...