Thursday, June 14, 2007

Life seems unfair...

Have you ever wondered why some seem to get everything they need and much more, and others seem to struggle for every little thing? Doesn’t the whole thing seem so unfair at times?

I suppose you’ve felt that way from time to time. I’m sure you’ve seen some of the unfairness of life, and wondered why God seems to allow this.

I don’t write this to give you any answers today. Because I have to admit that I don’t understand it myself. Sometimes I see sinful people get so much, and righteous, God-fearing people that don’t have anywhere near enough, and it makes me ask “Why, God?”

And I have to admit that hasn’t answered that question to me yet. I know that it’s a question that many others have asked, and I bet that they haven’t received an answer to their question either. But I have found a passage in Scripture that reminds that God is in charge. That he is aware of the unfairness here, and in the end it will be okay.

The passage involves John the Baptist and some of his followers. After John had baptized Jesus, Jesus and some of his followers also baptized people in the Jordan. And it got to the point where far more people were going to Jesus than were coming to John. Some of John’s followers thought this was very unfair, and so they brought it to John’s attention and asked him about it.

John was very wise, and knew that Jesus was the Christ, and replied in John 3:27, “A man can receive only what is given him from heaven.” We can’t know why God chooses to bless some and not bless others. But we can know that God has a reason for those he blesses.

And that in the end, we can only receive what is given to us from heaven.

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...