Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Time off to hike


Easter time is an incredibly busy time for a pastor. And I have to admit that I am tired!

It seems that we have been going non-stop for a couple of weeks now, but we saw it coming. So we are taking a vacation. For the next two weeks I am off (watch the wisecracks!). The posts might be a little sporadic, but I will share some reflections on the way.

We are going to Florida to visit my parents. This is a great time of year to leave Western New York for a couple of weeks and head to Florida. Today we spent in Asheville, North Carolina visiting my niece Crystal. We did some hiking in the Mount Pisgah Forest – what a great place! Afterward we went to a wonderful restaurant in the downtown section. A very enjoyable day!

It was a day that God was clearly seen in the little things. Sitting by a reservoir after a three mile hike in was so peaceful. I was thinking about what the Garden of Eden might have looked like, and I bet it wasn’t terribly different – without the fruit trees (but they caused a lot of trouble in the Garden of Eden anyway.).

It struck me how many people have seen this sight before, and I wondered how many have seen God so clearly there. Some don’t see Him. But I know that as we draw near to Him, He will draw near to us, and we will be able to see evidence of His presence! We experienced peace today in His presence. It was a good day!

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...