Wednesday, April 18, 2007

God's Timing

We are on vacation in Florida this week, visiting my parents. We used to live here for ten years, and we really loved it. At that time, I was in the insurance business, and due to some extreme tightening of the insurance markets here in Florida, we decided to move back to New York.

However, even at that time, I was feeling God’s call into ministry. I even had a number of lunches with my Pastor at the time, Bill Hopkins, who served at the Spring Hill Baptist Church. But I never got around to telling him of my call.

I’ve been wondering about that. What would have happened had I told Pastor Bill? What if I had heeded God’s call then? God was calling, but I wasn’t listening. And as it was, when I finally did listen, it was difficult. Seminary was a struggle with two young children and a full time job. I did well, and God saw me through, but the timing in my life wasn’t the best. God had the timing in place, but I didn’t see it at the time.

If you sense God is calling you to something, heed that call. I may not be to pastoral ministry, it might be a child’s ministry, it might be a singing ministry, or a teaching ministry. Whatever it is, listen to God. His plans will prevail, the question is timing. God’s timing is always best. I waited and answered in my time – and now, years later, I see that His timing would have been best.

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...