Friday, March 23, 2007

The sheep in us...


I was thinking about sheep this morning. I know, it’s a strange thing to be thinking of. I gave a message at a chapel service for a local Christian school this morning (kids from Kindergarten to Grade 6), and one of the illustrations I used was from John 10:11, “I am the good shepherd.”

I have thought about sheep before, because Scripture has used this illustration before. As I think about sheep, I think about how defenseless they are. They are naturally timid. They are easy prey to the many predators that may seek them. And they are easily led astray, often by another sheep, one of the kids during chapel said they would follow another sheep off a cliff! And they are sometimes led astray by a person that might not have their best interests at heart.

Are we really like sheep? Well, we are fairly defenseless against the many foes that confront us. We are easy prey to some of the things that seek to devour us – especially spiritual things! And we are often led astray by people who often don’t have our best interests at heart. So maybe, just maybe, this illustration of God’s people being like sheep isn’t so far fetched.

What’s the answer for the sheep? The shepherd is the answer. They must follow the shepherd. He will keep them safe and protect them from harm. He will watch over them and always be with them.

What’s the answer for us? Maybe we need the same thing the sheep need. Maybe we need to follow our good shepherd. He will keep us safe and protect us from harm, and he will watch over us and always be with us.

I heard recently that the promise that God will be with us is found in the Scriptures more than any other promise. That’s what we need. Someone who will always be with us, to be our “good shepherd.”

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...