Friday, March 9, 2007

Is there a difference in you?


I have been trying to loose weight. It’s a long and difficult process. I guess it is going okay, as diets go. But I guess it’s still just started..

It’s been seven weeks of diet and exercise. Seven long weeks (really long weeks!). I hate to think of seven weeks as just a start! But when I look in the mirror, I don’t see a difference. I don't think I look any different.

As I think about this, I think I see a spiritual parallel. Dieting might be a little like growing in our faith. We might work really hard, reading the Scriptures, reading devotions each day, praying regularly, but not see much difference in our lives.

My wife told me she noticed a difference. I don’t see it, but she said she saw it. Faith is like that, too. We don’t always see the difference. We don’t think we’re growing spiritually at all. We might not see it. But others around us see it. They notice the difference that our faith makes in our lives. And they watch us, to see if it will last.

Don’t give up just because you don’t see a difference. There is a difference. It’s the difference between life and death. And even if we don’t see it, others do. So persevere! Even on those days when it feels like a fight. When you’re struggling. When God just doesn’t seem near. Persevere!


God will bless you as you follow him. And others will come to him because they see the difference that has made in you. And sometimes, you won’t even see it yourself.

No comments:

What is the Church?

The Apostle Paul would whole-heartedly answer that question as the Body of Christ.   And I think that all of us would agree with him But ...