Thursday, March 1, 2007

In like a lion, out like a lamb...


It’s the first day of March, and unfortunately, it’s a lovely day. I say unfortunately because we have a saying in this part of the country about the month of March: In like a lamb, out like a lion – in like a lion, out like a lamb.

I was hoping for terrible weather. I was hoping that March would come in like a lion, so that it would go out like a lamb. That way, I would feel like the end of winter is getting near.

I don’t like winter. I’m a summer person. And I am looking forward to the start of summer. So stormy winter weather in the beginning of the month might just be an indicator that the end of winter is near.

Of course it’s never quite that easy. In this part of the country it’s not unusual to get some snow in April, or sometimes, even in May. I think this saying just makes me feel better.

I was reflecting on that saying - In like a lamb, out like a lion – in like a lion, out like a lamb. While it is somewhat true regarding the weather, it might also be somewhat true spiritually.

I have met many people who start out incredibly strong in their faith. They serve the church with abandon in the first few years of their faith, but they soon burn-out. In a few years, you don’t even see them in the church.

I am reminded of Jesus and his sayings about the seed that falls on the path in what is known as the Parable of the Sower (Luke 8:1-18). People like that are like the seed that falls on the rock. They hear the word, and it takes root, but because of the rock, the roots don’t grow deep, and soon their faith dies out.

I’m not saying that we need to pace ourselves – we should serve with abandon. We should serve with all we have. That’s a part of loving the Lord with all your heart and with all your mind and with all your soul and with all your strength.

But we also need to make sure that our roots go deep. Our quite times with the Lord will bring us the water that quenches the soul. Deepening our relationship with Christ through the Scriptures and through prayer will enable us to persevere.

Then perhaps, we can come in like a lion, AND go out like a lion!

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...