Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Hopelessness and Despair




I am writing this from the lobby of a hospital in Rochester, NY. I am sitting in the lobby because the person I tried to visit is out of her room having a test done. The waiting room is full of people. I am a people watcher – I like watching people. And there is a lot to see in a busy lobby in a hospital.

Some people have a look of hopelessness and despair on their face. Whatever brings them to the hospital today has them very worried. I pray for these people as I see them walk by.

Others seem okay. I wonder what brings them here today. Some I suppose are hospital employees and are so used to the setting it’s just another day at work. Others are here visiting friends and loved ones. I wonder how many of these are really okay, and how many are just putting on a good face, keeping up a good image. I wonder how many are just as scared on the inside as the people with the hopeless and desperate looks on their faces.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. And not just in the hospital. I guess that’s because hopelessness and despair is all around. I see it everywhere. In the last couple of days I’ve seen it at the grocery, at the local Wal-Mart, at Dunkin Donuts, and at a nursing home I visited.

I’ve been thinking about this because it’s hard for me see hopelessness and despair. I don’t mean it’s hard to see it (it’s all over), I mean it hurts me to see it so often. Maybe because I want to help (I am a pastor after all). But in the end, I know I can’t help. Only God can. But God is with them. They just don’t see him.



Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me. (Psalm 23:4a, NIV)

No comments:

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...