Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Allure of Sin


A clergy friend was telling me a story about a vacation he was on recently. They were sitting in the living room of the house watching TV, when a mouse scurried across the room. A chase ensued, which covered most of the house trying to catch this mouse, but with no luck.

He finally took out a couple of mousetraps, filled them with peanut butter (as mice just can’t resist peanut butter), and set them out. A couple of hours later, he hears a snap and goes to investigate. The trap is sprung, but there is no mouse – it somehow managed to get away.

My friend is thinking at this point that there is no way they are going to catch this mouse now, it knows how dangerous that trap is – it will leave it alone now. But an hour or so later he hears another snap, and sure enough, the mouse is in the trap this time.

I guess that is how sin is. We might get away with something once, and we get bold, or careless. And pretty soon, the trap goes off again, and this time we’re caught.

1 comment:

Regan Clem said...

Thanks for sharing this story, Pastor Steve. I am going to be using it this week in a sermon. Good stuff.

Faith First

  Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.”  Taking him...